Taking cues from Marie Kondo – the organising guru that has become a household name thanks to her Netflix show, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, people around the globe are starting the New Year by practising their folding techniques, sorting through their items using the KonMari method and asking themselves “does this spark joy?”
There’s nothing better than a fresh and clutter-free start to the New Year. We’re super inspired by Marie Kondo and with 2019 upon us, we’ve put together a list of items for you to clear out and things to do around the home and your work space for a productive year ahead.
1. Clean out the fridge and check all use-by dates, then wipe down the surfaces with warm water and lemon.
2. Empty each cupboard, sort out its contents and wipe down the cupboards. If you find anything you don’t use, remove it and donate or sell it. While you’re here, check to make sure all your plastic containers have lids!
3. We all accumulate mismatched kitchenware and mugs throughout the years. Clear out the cabinets and work out which mugs you use and which ones you have forgotten about or are the only ones left standing from their set.
4. Replace the tea towels and dishcloths that have seen better days.
5. Deep clean the dishwasher with a mixture of bicarb soda and lemon or vinegar. Note: you can use your preferred cleaning method, however I like to use natural cleaning solutions and have listed these options.
6. Sort through the pantry for expired or untouched items. How many items have you accumulated over the last year that you’ve forgotten about? Have a look and sort through these items and use them to reduce your next grocery shop.
1. Makeup brushes build up with product and become laced with bacteria, dust and dirt, so keep on top of them with regular cleaning. Give them a thorough clean with hot, soapy water and leave them out to dry.
2. If you can’t remember the last time you changed your toothbrush, swap these over. You should swap these every three to four months, or earlier if your toothbrush becomes frayed and worn to ensure sparking pearly whites.
3. Replace any old and worn-out towels with new ones. Towels may be needed at animal shelters so contact your local one to see if you can donate them, otherwise use them in the garage as rags.
4. Clean out the cupboards, get rid of any items if you can’t remember the last time you used them and wipe down the surfaces. Check the expiry dates on your products and replace any makeup or personal care items that have been hanging around for too long.
1. Remove the clutter by sorting linens, towels and cleaning supplies into baskets or containers to optimise the space.
2. Clean out the dryer’s vent and ducts to remove lint build-up.
3. Deep clean the washing machine and clean out the filters – can you recall the last time you did this?
1. Flip your mattress entirely or by turning it around so you can balance out your body’s imprint.
2. Wash your linen and bedspread ready for the year ahead.
3. Clean out your wardrobe – can you even remember everything in there? Pull everything out of your wardrobe and sort through each item. If you haven’t worn a garment in the last year, why not donate or sell it?
4. Take a look at your accessories including bags, jewellery, belts and hats and sort through each item. If they’ve gone untouched for a long, long time, then it’s time to part ways.
5. Replace your pillows and mark them with the date so you know how long you’ve had them.
Pillows absorb the skin, hair, and body oil that your body sheds each night – not a pleasant thought, right?! Over time, this can attract dust mites and old pillows can develop permanent stains and become lumpy. This can impact your health and your comfort while sleeping, so you should replace polyester pillows every six months, however memory foam pillows will last you between 18 to 36 months. If you have some to replace, check to see if any animal shelters will accept donated pillows for the animals’ beds.
1. For a clutter-free desk, start by emptying your drawers, sorting through the paper that tends to pile up throughout the year, remove any unused stationery you’re holding on to and empty that in-tray.
2. Sort through that paperwork that’s piled up on your desk and if it’s not relevant, remove it. If you need it, file it.
3. Clean out your keyboard and wipe down your monitors.
4. Clean out your emails and file everything away.
5. Back up your computer and phone, clear out files you’re not using on your computer and remove any icons or programs that you haven’t used in the last year.
1. Clean out your bag. Get down to the depths of your handbag or back pack and clean it out for the New Year.
2. If you haven’t already, get your 2019 calendar ready and filled out for the year ahead.
3. Do you have a cupboard full of candles? Sort through any jars you’re saving or any half used candles and use them up or get rid of them. If you have some jars you want to upcycle, you can melt down the remaining wax and clean the jars out.
4. Remove all unidentified and expired medicine from your medicine cabinet or box. Check the dates and if it’s expired or you don’t need it, say goodbye. You can easily and safely dispose of these at you local Pharmacy so pack them up and pay them a visit.
Do you have any must do clear outs to start the year off with? Share them with us in the comments.