iiNet has officially entered what we Australians call adulthood. With 18 years behind us, we’ve certainly come a long way since the early days when we started business in a suburban garage.
To celebrate, we’ll be kicking back and celebrating ‘retro style’. For now though, we’ve roped together 18 fun facts about iiNet for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!
1. DSLAM was a bit technical back in the day, so for our first advertising campaigns we referred to them as ‘doovalackeys’.
2. Our staff’s Friday pocket change amounted to a whopping $36,360 last year. This was donated to 52 different charities. Impressive!
3. iiNet was the first organisation in WA to offer dialup Internet access to the public. The entire operation was based within a suburban garage belonging to Michael Malone’s parents.
4. A signed photo of Tom Selleck (of Magnum P.I fame) takes pride of place on level 1 of our Perth headquarters.
5. Michael Malone and his friend, Michael O’Reilly, established iiNet in 1993. Since that time we’ve had 106 different Michaels working for iiNet.
6. iiNet’s first paid employee was Justin Lowe. His office was a bedroom in Michael Malone’s house that he shared with Michael O’Reilly, Deanne Godfrey, a cat and a pool table.
7. Every staff member has at least one stress ball on their desk. Not because they’re often stressed, but because every time we give out some staff freebies a stress ball always makes it into the goodie bag.
8. iiNet never forgets its history. When our new Perth headquarters was built three years ago, each meeting room was named in tribute to the ISPs that have joined the iiNet family.
9. To mark this special milestone, we’ve released our very first Sustainability Report. Have a quick squiz to see the positive impact iiNet has on the wider community.
10. iiNet has three customer service centres operating outside of Australia – one in Auckland, one in Capetown and one in Manilla.
12. Since iiNet took over as naming sponsor for the NBL, the game’s television audience has increased by 298 percent.
13. iiNet was the first Internet Service Provider to make calls to crisis lines free of charge following a customer suggestion on our Twitter account. We’re happy to report other ISPs are now following suit.
14. iiNet has a magical upper-basement where every bit of merchandise ever made for the company lives. Some say if you stand in the middle of it all and say “iiNet” backwards three times, it will transport you back to the 90s when Michael Malone was still working out of his mum’s garage.
15. Our staff have created the ultimate iced coffee recipe from ingredients iiNet provides them with. To find out more, check out our careers page for opportunities to join the iiNet family and learn the family secrets.
17. iiNet’s Cutest Pet was crowned in May. Her name is Ellie and she’s a Japanese Spitz cross King Charles Cavalier belonging to our Resource Planner, Richard Henderson.
18. Every time iiNet has a birthday, WE get a birthday present. Last year we got personalised cupcakes. Yummm.
If you’re unfamiliar with our 18 years of rich history, feel free to check out our online timeline. Alternatively, if you’re a ‘Perthie’ come along to one of our Open Day seminars on Monday (24 October 2011). Register your interest on our Open Day booking page.
Here’s to another 18 years!